Monday, April 28, 2008

Small but power packed - very handy PDA

O2 Atom (Windows Mobile 5.0 PDA)
Positive: Small Size, Powerful Pocket PC, Good Screen
Negative: Poor Service, Expensive parts, Battery, connectivity with other devices

Atom in another addition to the lineup of Windows Mobile 5.0 series phones from O2. I bought one some 3 months ago and boy do I love this piece of beauty.

Features are amazing and the screen is vibrant

bright offering a 262k TFT touchpad display. Although if I was asked to recommend this phone - I WOULD NOT!

Friends the phone si undoubtedly a desirable piece of beauty but the service SUCKS big time. I bought it for around Rs.27,500 in Delhi and after 3 months I started facing weird problems like the it would suddenly say SIM not found (Insert SIM), the stereo headset also gave problems and the battery backup was worse than my O2 XDA Mini-2. Lasted for a day at most. Company says it will take around 30 to 45 days to service the phone. And what am i supposed to do till then??? Since the phone is around 27k m sure the O2 won;t mind giving a Nokia 1100 free with it as a standby coz their phone is sure to conk off one fine day and then all your precious data/contacts/messages go for a toss and you are left without a phone for a month!

PROS

- Small Size

- Stereo Speakers which are quite loud and clear

- FM stereo

- Vibrant Screen

- Good integration with PC

- Wi-fi (Both B/G standards)

CONS

- Service SUCKS Big Time! For a phone which you have paid close to 30K they dont care about it once you have bought it.

- Bad connectivity with other mobile devices like nokia, sony etc

- Battery Life is low

- Screen not clear in sunlight

- Very expensive part and service. Imagine a pop port costs 1700 bucks

- Camera gives so-so images even though its 2MP

Bottom Line: I would NOT recommend it. Then you'll ask me - why on earth did I buy it then? Because it was one of the best PDA's in the market @ that time. Apparently - it wasn't worth the money I spent. One fine day the device just died on me. Would keep prompting - Insert Sim. Cost of getting it fixed was 7,000/- and resale value was 12,000. Guess which one did I choose? Personally I feel that Symbian OS based phones such as Sony P990i or E-Series from Nokia are way more stable and better value for money!

Purchase Price: 27500

Talk time: 150 Minutes

No comments: